Financial aid, grants and benefits

There is a range of Council and Government funds in place to support the residents of Grenfell Tower, Grenfell Walk and the Walkways who have been displaced and are in need of financial help. This support covers a range of day-to-day costs, including emergency hotel accommodation and daily food and travel costs, along with funeral costs and individual requests that are decided on a case-by-case basis.

There are also other streams of funding available to affected residents from Grenfell Tower and Grenfell Walk which are arranged by charitable organisations, primarily the London Emergencies Trust and the Rugby Portobello Trust, under the coordination of the Charity Commission.


Given the complexity of the legal issues involved and the difficulties navigating the legal system, we strongly recommend that you seek independent legal advice and representation if you have a claim to make for compensation. Please direct all enquiries to the Council at

Impact on benefits

If you are in receipt of means-tested benefits, any grant or charitable payments made to you as a result of the Grenfell tragedy will not affect your benefits. This includes the £5,000 payment made to all former residents of Grenfell Tower and Grenfell Walk, as well as personal insurance payments for the loss of personal items. If you receive compensation from the Council for lost or damaged personal items from Grenfell Tower or Grenfell Walk, this will not affect your benefits either.

Compensation for personal injury is more complicated. We recommend you get further advice so that you understand how your benefits might be affected from:
Kensington & Chelsea Citizens Advice on: 020 8962 3492 or


The public responded very generously to the Grenfell Tower tragedy and many millions of pounds were raised for the victims.

The Charity Commission, which regulates charities in England and Wales, has stepped in to drive the distribution of these funds. It is responsible for coordinating the public donations and making sure that this money reaches those who need it.

Up to date figures on the funds raised are available here: charitable-funds-raised-and-distributed

Information on financial support is available from the charities and independent organisations listed below. To find out if you are eligible for some of this money, please ask your support worker or Family Liaison Officer. If you do not have either, contact one of the following organisations:

  • Grenfell Enquiries, 020 7745 6414, Email:
  • The Clement James Centre, 95 Sirdar Road, London W11 4EQ, 020 7221 8810 , Email:
  • Venture Centre, 103A Wornington Road, London W10 5YB 020 8960 3234 Email:
  • The Rugby Portobello Trust, 221 Walmer Road, London W11 4EY 020 7229 2928 Email:
  • Action on Disability Kensington and Chelsea, ADKC Centre, Whitstable House, Silchester Road, London W10 6SB 020 8960 8888 Email:
  • Westway Trust, Westway Trust Office, 1 Thorpe Close, London, W10 5XL 020 8962 5720 Email:
  • The Red Cross 020 7877 7292 Email:

If you would like to donate

If you would like to donate please go to the London Fire Relief Fund

Financial Guidance

Kensington & Chelsea Citizens Advice has a dedicated team of caseworkers who can provide guidance on receiving charitable donations such as savings plans, setting up a trust, managing your money and other matters.

The guidance is free, independent and confidential. To arrange a meeting, please speak to your support workers or contact Kensington & Chelsea Citizens Advice on:

020 8962 3492 or

Emergency accommodation (hotels and serviced apartments)

Hotel bills

The Council will pay the bills for anyone staying in hotels or serviced apartments. This covers room costs, meals taken in hotel restaurants or cafes, hotel laundry costs and other costs incurred in hotels or apartments.

Food allowances
We will pay £300 a week food allowance to all residents whilst they are in emergency accommodation aged 5 years and over, and £150 a week food allowance for children aged under five years. We are unable to pay food allowance if residents are away from the emergency accommodation.  We are unable to backdate food allowance.

Travel costs
We will pay travel costs for residents whilst they are in emergency accommodation, for example, an Oyster card for adults to travel around London. We will also pay for an Oyster card for school children who have to use public transport, which has a cost, to get to school.


Financial help to move out of emergency accommodation (hotels and serviced apartments)

To help residents move out of hotels into interim or permanent accommodation, a payment will be provided at £300 per person per week, and £150 per child (age 0 to 5) per week.

For residents of Grenfell Tower and Grenfell Walk eligible under the Grenfell Rehousing Policy, these payments will continue for three months (12 weeks) after moving, and then continue for another three months (12 weeks) at a level of £150 per person per week and £75 per child (aged 0 to 5) per week.

For residents of the Walkways, Treadgold House and Bramley House eligible under the Wider Grenfell Rehousing Policy, these payments will continue for two months (8 weeks) after moving, and then continue for another two months (8 weeks) at a level of £150 per person per week and £75 per child (aged 0 to 5) per week.

For residents of Grenfell Tower and Grenfell Walk transition payments starts when your accepted or reserved property is ready. For qualifying residents of the Walkways, Treadgold House and Bramley House, transition payments starts when there is an alternative suitable property available to you that you can prepare food at.

This money will be paid direct into your bank account.

Rent free period

If you lived in Grenfell Tower or Grenfell Walk, you will not have to pay rent, service charges, utility bills (gas, electricity, water) or council tax until 1 July 2019.

You will not have to pay these costs regardless of whether you are in interim accommodation or a permanent home.

Help for leaseholders with mortgages

To help leaseholders who still have mortgages on the flats they owned in Grenfell Tower or Grenfell Walk, the Council will pay their mortgage payments for up to 12 months.

Citizens’ Advice offer help to those affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy

Citizens Advice in Kensington and Chelsea has set up a specialist money guidance service to help bereaved families and everyone who was affected by the Grenfell tragedy who have received charitable donations raised in the aftermath. The service focuses on providing guidance around money management and the steps people can take to ensure their long-term financial security.

Families and survivors can access help at the Citizens Advice office in Kensington and Chelsea’s, Acklam Road, W10, and through the local centres supporting the service. These include: Rugby Portobello Trust; Al-Maanar Cultural Centre; Clement James, Al-Hasaniya; The Curve Community Centre; the Family and Friends Assistance Centre; Dadihiye Somali Development Organisation; Midaye Somali Development Network and North Kensington Library.

Citizens Advice in Kensington and Chelsea also offers advice on housing, employment, welfare, immigration, consumer and family issues.