A Kensington and Chelsea Council spokesperson said: “We take fraud very seriously and we have always taken action to root out Grenfell fraud wherever it takes place.
“Over many months our fraud team has worked with the police to build cases and push for prosecutions against anyone who sought to take advantage of last year’s terrible tragedy.
“On this occasion it was one of our own members of staff who managed to defraud the council by getting past our own systems and processes. This is both shocking and unforgivable.
“We discovered the fraud and took action straight away, including strengthening our internal processes. We apologise to the survivors and families for any distress this may cause.”
Following media reports this morning (Friday 31 August 2018), the Council would also like to make clear that no money or donations were taken from Grenfell families or survivors.
Money was taken from the council that had been earmarked to help families and survivors, but this in no way hindered our efforts to make sure they received direct financial support.
The Council also discovered the issue itself and reported it to the police for investigation.
Pedestrians can now access 78 double garage units on Testerton Road and Hurstway Road on the Lancaster West Estate. Garage users can access the garages through stairways leading from Tersterton Walk and Hurstway Walk using key fobs.
An advance appointment remains necessary for anyone requiring vehicle access. To book an appointment please call Grenfell Site Management Team on 07920 534378.
“The Grenfell Night Support Service that has been provided from Notting Hill Methodist Church will not be moving on Monday 6 August as previously advertised.
“It will remain fully operational in its current location until further notice.
“Meanwhile, the Council and Central North West London (CNWL) NHS are working with the community to assess what they need in terms of overnight health and emotional support.
“The Council’s Community Engagement Team will be undertaking a community consultation exercise over the summer, the results of this will help guide and inform our work with the wider community to support recovery. More information on this will follow soon.”
Kensington and Chelsea Council has responded to yesterday’s (31.07.18) government announcement that fire doors from five different suppliers have been identified as failing to meet requisite fire performance standards.
We know that this will be concerning for our residents. The Council has been advised that the fire doors failed due to not being tested on both sides, as the regulations stipulate. All councils, landlords and anyone in charge of buildings anywhere in the country will be asked to take action if these doors have been used or installed.
A Kensington and Chelsea Council spokesperson said: “We are constantly reviewing the fire safety of our housing stock and checks will continue to see if any of the named doors have been fitted to homes and we will take urgent action where necessary.
“We have already checked the new homes for Grenfell Tower families. We can confirm that we have not fitted any of the named doors to the new permanent homes of Grenfell survivors.
“The Council is embarking on a programme to replace 4,000 fire doors across our estates, at a cost of £3.5m. We have been clear, we will only put in doors that have passed all safety checks and if we are confident they are tested to the very highest standards.
“We will also liaise with housing associations to ensure blocks are either not affected or to ensure that urgent changes are made. We will check temporary homes and general housing stock, but that will take time.
“Yesterday’s announcement is a helpful one and we urge all parties involved to work together to ensure products are as safe as they can possibly be.”
Kensington and Chelsea Council has welcomed the announcement that the government will take responsibility for the Grenfell Tower site from the Metropolitan Police. The Council has always maintained that it should have no part in any day-to-day operations.
The announcement comes after the Metropolitan Police confirmed it has completed the forensic investigation of Grenfell Tower, which means the Tower is no longer required as a crime scene.
The government will now make operational decisions on issues such as the site’s safety, security and access arrangements, until the future of the site has been determined by the community. A formal agreement will be finalised in the autumn.
As these arrangements are put in place, the site will continue to be managed by the independent Site Management team who have been in place since July 2017.
Led by Doug Patterson, Chief Executive of the London Borough of Bromley, the team is responsible for all aspects of the on-going day-to-day management, such as health and safety and security. This ensures the Council will continue to take no role in making decisions regarding the site.
The local policing team will continue to work closely with the Site Management team and patrol the surrounding area to protect the integrity of the site.
The Council has always been clear that in the long term, it is for the Grenfell community – the bereaved, survivors and residents – to decide on the future of the tower site. The community must have full control to shape the legacy of Grenfell following this tragedy. Earlier this year the Council signed up to a set of principles with the government committing to this and this remains our position.
You can find the government’s full statement here.
The site principles, signed up to by RBKC, can be found here.
A set of commitments to those affected by the Grenfell tragedy were discussed and agreed by Councillors last night (Wednesday 25 July).
“Our Commitments to those affected by the Grenfell tragedy” sets out our approach to working with survivors, the bereaved and the wider community towards long-term recovery.
The approach is informed by the many conversations with survivors, the bereaved and wider community we have had over the past year and has been developed together with NHS partners, West London Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (CNWL).
Our overall aims are:
– To support survivors and those who were bereaved as a result of the tragedy to rebuild their lives
– To support with community-led recovery for the wider community, helping people to build a better future for themselves and families
– To help all those affected by the Grenfell tragedy to support themselves and each other, developing capacity and resilience for a better future
The Leadership Team – the Council’s decision making body – approved the commitments as a basis for further consultation and engagement. This will take place in the coming months so that we can hear more about what matters to survivors, the bereaved and the wider community.
The commitments are only the beginning of a wider conversation with the community and we have deliberately made them open-ended to ensure that they leave room for discussion, debate and challenge. They will be the foundation of a long-term recovery strategy, to be developed in partnership with residents and agreed by the Council in the autumn.
We will be contacting as many local community groups as possible to hear their ideas. There will be a number of drop-in sessions, workshops as well as dedicated consultation website for people to give us their views.
You can read more about the commitments on the Council’s website.
Summer in the City is your guide to the hundreds of events and activities taking place for children, young people and their families this summer across central London. With outdoor activities, bake-offs, arts and crafts, beatboxing, the Summer Reading Challenge, free cycling tours, nature trails, costume making, grafitti art, photography and so much more, there’s little risk of being bored. The events will be taking place across London but you can find the events specifically taking place in Kensington and Chelsea in the Summer in the City flyer.
To see all events taking place, visit the Summer in the City website.